Friday, April 6, 2012

Getting Started

I am a third year elementary principal in a school of almost 600 students.  Like most, I believe that the most important thing I can do is be in classrooms observing instruction and interacting with students.  The best discussions I have with teachers about student learning happen because of being in the classroom and having a conversation about the learning that has taken place.  However, starting that conversation can be difficult.  Here are some tips and ideas for classroom walkthroughs based on my experiences...please feel free to respond by adding your thoughts, challenging mine, or asking questions.

  1. Just do it!  First, get out of your office and visit classrooms.  Even if you have no formal observation tool or schedule.  Just like eating right or working out, you first have to just start the process.  If you wait until the perfect moment, you will never start.
  2. Look for positives.  If you have not been in classrooms on a regular basis in the past, it is important to develop trust with your staff that you are not out looking for something wrong.  Bring note cards or sticky notes and point out something positive. 
  3. Let your staff know what you will be looking for as you do your walk-abouts.  Once you have started getting out on a regular basis, create or find a walkthrough tool that gives them an idea of what you are looking for when you visit.  I use iwalkobservation for the iPad.  This tool has several pre-created tools to use and sends an email to the teacher before you even leave the class. 
  4. When I use my observation tool, I tend to ask reflective questions instead of pointing out concerns (however, there are times that certain issues need immediate direction).  I have already let my staff know that they do not have to answer the quesitons, they are just reflective.  Also, I remind them that I am in the classroom for only a portion of the lesson, so I realize that my question is a result of a limited observation...but it is still a thought, so they can respond if they want.  I have had the best discussions in response to these reflective quesitons. 
This is not complete list of what a walkthrough entails...like how often, how long, or other walkthrough tools.  If you have tips or tools you use for providing feedback, please share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment